Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The drowning victim

A friend recently posed the question of how to help someone who is (emotionally) drowning. 

It's a hard road for us when we are drowning. People avoid us because they are afraid of getting pulled down under water, I suppose.  Some go into denial mode and avoid us, some go into survival mode and avoid us....... some even think by helping us they are "enabling" us to stay sick. Some are just plain selfish and don't care to get involved. All of it is so counter-productive because what we need, what we're sometimes on the verge of dying for is someone to love us unconditionally and to stand with us, near us, until we are strong enough to stand on our own again.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, and at the moment right now I'm going through a situation to where I have put out my hand so many times that it's only a matter of time I'm taken down with them. I have had to learn the hard way that it's best for me to just let them go.... I am not willing to go down with them. Sometimes you just have to let go and let them shread water for a while until they are ready to surface for good. Denial is like a river current, it just keeps pulling you further and further away until it's to late... I'm just hope and holding on to the faith that she will come through this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a situational crisis, you're probably right. Some people are even "crisis junkies" and create the very crisis they seek. They become addicted to their own adrenaline.

    However if it a medical, clinical depression, the person needs medical help and may be too immobilized by the illness to be capable of seeking the care needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! that sounds like me... OMG! Now I'm asking myself, am I a "crisis junkie"? I need to do some much needed self evaluation...

    ReplyDelete